Sunday, December 25, 2011

Striar Conservancy (Halifax, MA)

Merry Christmas!

It never ceases to amaze me how much beautiful land there is in Southeastern Mass. So when I stumbled upon the Striar Conservancy, I wasn't completely surprised by its rich beauty and serene vistas. It's also hard to believe that it wasn't overrun by hunters and dirt bikes considering its proximity to the roadway.

I must have ridden by this spot at least 100 times on my bike without knowing what rich woods and ponds lay hidden inside. There's a small parking lot immediately off Thompson Road (105) that was recently built this past year. Prior to its construction, I had no clue that this wonderful area existed.

The trails are freshly groomed and provide ample space for walking. Small wooden footbridges conveniently adorn most streams on the path as well. Keep in mind that I'm writing this review in Winter (before any snow has hit) and that most wetlands in the region flood over in Spring, so plan your visit accordingly. I'm also going to state that this might not be the best mountain biking spot for that same reason. Although, I am curious to find out if other trail networks conjoin Striar. If so, this might be a great place to hook up with other trails. My only regret is that I forgot my camera at home; sorry no pictures.

I went back the next day, camera in hand. Here are my photos:







No comments: